July 9, 2009

Hobby Fishing in Luak Bay






Fishing is a delightful hobby if carried out together with a beloved wife. Most fishermen fish with their friends. A few people I know do take their whole family fishing at Kuala Baram and such outings would be more picnics than actually fishing trips - lots of joy and shared memories.

In the photo you see one of my friendly Luak Bay neighbours who goes out fishing with his wife in their powerful and locally designed sea going fishing boat. His catch this morning was a handsome grouper which weighs about 3.5 kg! He is not the only one who catches fish with his wife. A few other fishermen also have partners who are none other than their own wives. They usually go out in pairs and were in the sea by 1 a.m. in the morning. Some days the catch is good. Some days the catch can be very disappointing. This is quite a unique phenomenon in Miri where couples go fishing together.

In recent years fresh fish is always available if you can come down to the nice little fishermen's landing place at Luak Bay near Navia 5 at about 8 a.m. in the morning. You can find gentlemen fishmongers selling their fresh catch and if you like you can always leave your handphone numbers for them to call you if you wish to buy a certain kind of fish. This kind of personalised service is rare and should be appreciated!!

Thanks to Mrs. W for letting me share their morning time and peep into their experience at Luak Bay. (It was quite an experience photographing cats. Not that easy!!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes we often stop by the Luak Fisherman's Place to buy very fresh fish. These few days Ikan Kembong are only about 8 ringgit per kg....and my family has been enjoying the fresh fish. Their catch has been good and I hope the weather holds.
K.

Anonymous said...

Yes I am glad Ikan Kemong has gone down in price!! Yipeeeee!
Jane.

justin said...

Fresh fish is always good for the older folks and children. I like fishing myself but have no time. When I was a teenager I often had to fish in order to eat better. Otherwise it was just my mother's vegetables and salted eggs and fish.

Ensurai said...

Dear Anon
Thanks for stopping by. Yes I heard from Luak friends the same good news. I would love to have a meal of kembong masak kunyit!!

Kunyit is anti cancer!

Ensurai said...

Dear Justin
Thanks for visiting. I am sure your family would always remember the fish you caught!

I always loved the fish my father caught with his jala.

I wish I could take photos of fishermen using the jala nowadays.

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...