October 12, 2009

Mrs. Mary Hoover's Last Home




33 Kanimbla Street Nedlands WA.

After our trip to the grave Alan took us to the home where Mrs. Hoover lived until she passed away. It is in a very nice upscale part of Perth near the University of Western Australia. According to Alan Mrs. Hoover would have many Foochow students from Sibu coming over to see her during the weekends and they would cook and clean for her. They would then squeeze into the small place for a nice evening of fellowship.

Alan lives in Claremont which is very near this house so his parents were actually within very easy reach for Mrs. Hoover. Mr. and Mrs. Smith must have been inspired by Mrs. Hoover because the younger couple became great friends of any Borneo students studying in Perth. Alan today continues to practise this tradition of helping Malaysian students coming to Perth.


Six letter boxes to show that there are six occupants in this apartment.



The summer sun would have been very pleasant for her and would have reminded her of her tropical days in Sibu.




The road signs. The apartment seen from the junction.



Another view of the property.


I would like to acknowledge my thanks to Mr. Alan Smith and Mr.Timothy Liaw (former Divisional Engineer of Sarikei - where be became a Methodist) for bringing me to visit Mrs. Hoover's grave and this home in Perth on a beautiful busy sunlit Saturday morning when they should be spending time doing other very important tasks. Much appreciation....kan sia kan sia....pei yi shu pei yi shu)


(You can check the name list I drew up of all those who graduated from Yuk Ing School in Sibu in my older blog - http://sarawakiana.blogspot.com)


8 comments:

Ah Ngao said...

hi S'kiana,how is Perth's weather lately?

Ensurai said...

When I left yesterday it was mild - 17 degrees.

Good time to visit Perth now as all the students are back at school and the parents back to work.

cheers.

Ensurai said...

Hi Ah Ngao

I have started my 1001 moments in Perth as a "subsidiary" blog.

Check the photos!

天鵝江畔 said...

CY, really glad to hear that finally you find the grave of Mrs Hoover and ++
i m sure, you can write some articles for the connection isn't?
i ll be back tis afternoon

Ensurai said...

Hi ML
Yes I have already sent several articles to MM office.

I am sure you had a good celebration! I can say again well done 24 acres to you and your family!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

good trip down memory lane. 1962, I was in Primary 2, How long did you visit Perth? Were the wild flowers in bloom?

Ensurai said...

Hi Ann
Yes it was a good trip and I reunited with my Hockey Captain in Perth as well as my husband's school mate from 1959!!

the wild flowers are lovely and I fell in love with Banksia and others like Kangaroo Paws...

My grandfather who was Mr and Mrs. Hoover's friend died one year later.

Ensurai said...

Hi Ann...oops I was there eleven days...very well spent time and a good break for me.
thanks.

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...