August 24, 2010

Homeward bound with the harvest

This post is dedicated to the Chinese women farmers of Sarawak!! I would like to thank them for providing us with food diligently as they work hard in the sun and rain every day....and chasing away insects and pests...they are showing us the true way of life - work hard - produce food - and rest well at the end of the day. Joy is watching nature bursting with flowers and seeds  and sharing the same atmosphere with mankind. Man and nature at peace!

Enjoy these frames as I did taking photos of her!! She is a woman with a good heart. Follow her with my lenses from the side.



Each step of hers was purposely and steady as our life should be. And in front she has this wonderful crop of long beans. There are more growing on the bean stalks!!
The weeds on the ground are like our challenges which creep into our lives and tormenting us. But as strong men and women we have to destroy them to the best of our ability.

The road is rough as our life's journey is rough.



Home is where the heart is as one poet wrote. At the end of the day she gets some rest and enjoy the fruit of her labour.


It was a warm evening with a brilliant sun. And making a short trip to visit her was indeed a rewarding thing to do.

Small farmers eek out a simple living out of the soil. They are green people and do not necessarily destroy our earth. Small farms are beautiful and safe. The world is surviving because of wise people who hold on to beliefs in returning to the basics and going small. Micro credit is in helping millions of women in South Asia to triumph over poverty. Small farms are in. Simple weekly markets even in London are in. People go for miles to search for the impeccable organic fruit. And for health reasons many even grow our own vegetables so that we are not eating pesticides.

And I hope that our community will continue to support safe farming and the small farmers.

Finally urbanites should spend more time in a farm away from the stresses of a city.





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
organic is good !
is the vegetable, long bean ?
would like to see the smilling(?) face

being reading you blog for a while from sydney

Ensurai said...

Hi
The vegetable is long bean. No she refused to let me take her full view. She does not really smile also...

thanks...Cheers to people of Sydney!!

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thanks for posting such brilliant photos of female farmers.Remind me of all farmers who work hard and bring to us our green vegeables.Re: my grandmother has been the farmer in our family - enough throughout the year. So thanks to her too.

Justin.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

CY,

you ever pushed a wheel barrel? I think you need a pushing lesson to do it. I always fail.

Ensurai said...

Hi Justin
How are you and your family? Thanks for dropping by...Yes vegetables are so important to grow..

Ensurai said...

Ann
I do own a wheel barrel. I loved putting my kids in it too...Need to have strong arms and must be good in balancing with hands...

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Have you got a farm or something?

Ensurai said...

Ann
This is not my farm...nope...but we do have a piece of land ...4 acres nearby but never thought of planting anything....I was thinking of a few sheep...a few chickens....and like the milkmaid...it was just a dream...kekekekek

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

when I was young, My WAI KUNG in Durin had a farmlet, he and the agriculture dept had some sort of an understanding. if the dept had new seeds, they get my uncle to grow them.

So when my sis Marg became an agricultural officer, the junior technicians talked about my uncle's farm. ( not knowing Marg is related)

Great place to visit, my grandpa's place. had a fish pond as well.

4 acres not even enough to keep one sheep. Try goats. You should plant exotic crops.

My sis E is hoping to plant things up in Bario.

Ensurai said...

Dear Ann
It is nice to know that your Wai Kung had this farm...and he kept it for the future generation. Hope one day I can visit it...
Yeah my dad used to keep goats in Pulau Kerto...
I am sure when E reitres she will make Bairo a wonderful place...I haven't visited B yet...

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You must time it when E is there in Bario. My big sis says it is beautiful like New Zealand.

Ensurai said...

Hi...I must get in touch with her and go with her to Bario...

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...