August 28, 2010

Kapok for your pillows

Years ago before supermarkets and departmental stores started to sell imported rubber foam pillows (Dunpillo) most of our mothers bought kapok by the katis made our own pillows.

Kapok is a natural fibre from a huge tree and I would consider that it is better than any other man made fibres for pillow making.

When I was young I loved my kapok pillows after they had been sun dried for a few hours in the hot tropical sun. The smell of freshness was heavenly and the aroma of the healthy sun and the smells of the outdoors filled the air of the bedroom for the whole night!! As I slept on the sun dried pillows I would have better dreams.



Today the smell of sundried pillows will still bring back lots of memories of yesteryears and of grandmothers chatting with aunts in the kitchen while waiting for chicken soup to boil or kuihs to cook in the steamer!!

It will also bring back memories of giggly girls whispering interesting stories in big beds - big enough for five little girls under the mosquito net!!

i must say kapok is still the best material to use for pillows to this day!!

8 comments:

fufu said...

yeah pillow is very important ya...because we spend 1/3 of our day time on it...just like bed :)

Bengbeng said...

i wish i knew what this kapok thing is.. first time i have heard of it :D

Ensurai said...

Hi Fufu...yeah..pillow is a favourite thing for me to buy...tried all sorts including ones which give you sweet dreams kekekekek

Ensurai said...

Beng Beng
Go to Channel Road in Sibu and ask the shop keepers who sell pillows...and go to Mederka Hotel Kuching...there are two Kapok trees there...collect the fresh kapok there too...cheers...something exciting for you to do..

Jay said...

The kapok tree that i used to climb with my grandfather still stand strong at my Kampong. Such a fond memory. Not only pillow but our mattress is also made from kapok. I never know that kapok is the universal word. I thought only Bidayuh use this word. Where is your kpg wireless photo.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Now Kapok has made a comeback. They say it is natural.

My mu used to make mattresses.

When we travel up river, we see Kapok trees.

Ensurai said...

Hi Jay..yes Kapok is a universal word. Now very popular...Please take photos of your kapok tree...and never let any one kill that precious tree...
My Kampong Wireless photos...later...Hope Naomi will post hers too...

Ensurai said...

Hi Ann
'You are a lucky girl to see all the kapok \trees...I have to go to Kuching to see mine and pick some..Cheers.

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...