August 9, 2010

Scenes from your Made in Miri Movie

The plot begins with two sisters coming home to see their aging father who has an experimental farm.

Noticing that the neighbours are encroaching on their land the two sisters are worried that their father may give in to their demands to sell outright.

The two sisters(one a banker and one a pharmacist) manage to solve the conflicts with the local farmers and get their mini forest on its feet  and at the same time manage to help a huge group of tourists who are left on a lurch by a tour agency. the part time helpers in their farm all come out to cook camping style for the tourists who enjoy the farm produce and walks up the hill and through the young forest.

The grapes that their father has been growing start to produce bountifully and surprise the locals who in turn decide to learn modern farming from them.

A local entrepreneur touched by the work of the two sisters to help the tourists and the local farmers offers to start a small boutique hotel on their father's land as  joint venture.

The older sister helps some farmers secure loans to put their farms right and the pharmacist sister helps the whole community get over an epidemic of large proportions by checking their well water. They  also initiate a mini water fall by damming a small river on their hills and stop a quarry from continuing its illegal business.


Aminah and the Korean like mini forest behind her.


Elaine smiling charmingly





Juicy grapes good for wine making.



Good trellis with vine leaves...


Pretty leaves.

The movie ends with the two sisters celebrating their father's 80th birthday with a grape harvest and new wines -  Vin Elaine and Vin Aminah.

Hope you like the plot.

Why not have this movie made?






All photos shot in Miri. Hope you like them too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi....
Interesting that these plants can grow in Miri....Well done!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

more likely you get funds for an eco documentary.

Did you know Mdm Chew aka Mrs. Wong Bing Sing, her bro a graduate from taiwan, my Dad's student, had a pig farm somewhere off Race course road?

Have I told you already?

Ensurai said...

Hi Anonymous
Thanks for the compliments...I took these photos in a special place in Miri...love to go there and enjoy the special plants...unfortunately there is no cafe there...

Ensurai said...

Hi Ann

It would be nice to get some funds to do an eco documentary!!
Mrs. Wong BS is a great friend...nope I did not know about the pig farm in Race Course Road!! Nope you haven't told me...Today pig farms require some government permission and there is even talk of centralise pig farming.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Mr.Chew graduated from taiwan and was a student of MSS, both Mrs. Wong, Mr wong and Mr Chew were my dad's students. Dad taught from 1948 to 1956. That's a long time, he taught in MSS, Chung Hwa and Tung Hwa. (all at the same tiem) Sacred Hearts tell him he taught there, though in his old aged, he couldn't remember.

Any way, back to Mr. Chew, He had this glorified scheme of self sufficiency farm. He kept pigs , the shit were used to produce gas to light up his house and for cooking. His cows produced milk. He grew veg . I think he was a Vet Science student.

He gave us complimentary fresh milk, but it didn't taste nice to us ANG JEE GU NEE kids. I presume all VIP Sibu kids who's dads got the complimentary fresh milk too preferred the ANG JE GU NE. That that goes his cows.

Race Course Road and his farmlet were smacked in the middle of Malay Kampong and Govt civil servants, Pigs and their smell did not agree.

Then ignorant people like my mum say, how to use pig shit gas to cook? I won't eat the food. of course, now I know better having married to a ex professor. he tells me the gas should not smell.

So it is a foregone conclusion. Before my dad died, we talked a lot. i think Mr. Chew went overseas, where? I don't know.

Mrs. Wong was one of the best teacher I had, She was also the teacher in charge of St Marks house. First year I was there when i was in form one, and you were House captain. We were the champion house. the rest of the 7 years, we were last.

Ensurai said...

Dear Ann
You have a superb collection of historical knowledge of Sibu...Hat off to you!! Indeed I did not know about Mr. Chew the Scientist!! Must ask Mrs. WBS when I see her again about her brother. I think he might be in Canada. He is definitely a man before his time.

I know it was very sad that St. Mark was later last House for so many years after I went off. When I came back to Sibu as a teacher I was in St. Mathew's. I think the school does not use these names now.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I spent a lot of time with my Dad the 16 years I was in Singapore. He told me a lot of thing. he liked talking to me because I know the people he was talking about. Wish he haven't died so I could document all his stories. But then, i started seriously writing after he died. My way of therapy.

Do you know about Mr Wong Toh Sing? Not the Toh Sing your BIL, but our teacher? He went o Australia. The wife sadly dead of the BIG C.

Mr. Chew was a Vet. I suppose you can consider him a scientist with all his innovations. Who would have thought of using pig shit for cooking gas.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi CY,

seriously, do you edit? My daughter just sat on my book about Sarawak, and I don't think she will ever edit it for me.

As for my novel, I don't think I want to pay an editor and there are so few publishers here.

KS.

Ensurai said...

Ann
Writing is indeed therapy of the best kind. I believe in it myself...journalling which includes some reflection...
No I have not made contact with Mr. TS Wong. His younger brother is one year my senior. Yes I must reconnect with them...

Now cow dung and other dung have been used to make methane....camel shit has always been picked by women with their bare hands...and used as cooking fuel...Saw it several times on Discovery Channel.

Ensurai said...

Ann
Re: Editing. I do...but now have some deadlines...I am not sure I have the calibre for your skills!! After Nov??

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...