August 8, 2010

Simple Sunday Dinner in Miri

After a few hours of walking on Hawaii Beach and trying to catch a beautiful sunset my friends and I adjourned to a little corner shop(Riam Willow Cafe) near the junction of the Miri Bintulu Road and Airport Road - just opposite the Army Camp at Mile 1 1/2.

Here we ordered the Char Siew Oil Kampua and a Mixed Toufoo and Liver Vegetable Soup for four. We had barley and lian teh to go with the meal. Simple and delicious!!



The noodles are soft and luscious. The char siew oil is very tasty and completely different from olive oil which goes well with pasta.


Lovely Foochow style soup. I love the toufoo in it.


The proprietor of the stall is a lady who is very organised and the bowls of noodles are served by a small thin waitress who is pleasant and helpful. She is quick when we asked her to get us "chili potong" and "chili blend". I like my soup with lots of chili and vinegar so the chili potong is the one I like. My friends however like the chili blend which is chili sauce blended by the proprietress herself.

It was a nice evening out altogether!!

16 comments:

wenn said...

hmm..yummy!

Naomi said...

If not mistaken there are 3 shop selling me there. which one is this?

Ensurai said...

Hi Wenn
thanks...sure is yummy...slurp slurp....filip filip slipslip...

Ensurai said...

Hi N.
this is the Riam Willow...the first one or corner one....next time we meet there in the evening?

Anonymous said...

Hello changyi
I really miss this in NZ.Will join you for a plate or two in oct.

Anonymous said...

Hi,Changyi
A plate of such mee costs $9.90 in Chartwell, Hamilton and it tastes horrible.The store is run by someone from Miri and obviously he doesn't know what is Kolok mee.

Ensurai said...

Hi...I think I know who you are!...sure...see you in Oct...and for more than a plate or two....This is quite special...There is a new Cantonese Noodle now which is red in colour and quite similar to kampua. Will feature it one day.

Ensurai said...

Hi

I am not surprised by the price...I had one bowl of char siew noodles in Knightsbridge of London at 5 pounds. (And it was the cheapest on the menu - but it missed the noodles...so instead of char siew rice I ordered the char siew noodles). This man needs to learn from some Foochow cooks again...I think he does not know how to blanch the noodles and throw them up a few times...the noodles need a cold bath too. But I may be totally wrong. The secret is also in the sauce.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi CY,

How is the Anon person who knows you?

I would love to have kampua right now and then. I think I can eat 3 plates without the meat, lots of spring onions.

Ensurai said...

Hi Ann
It could be Lisa Tie (Deng). She is a very nice nurse working in Hamilton Hospital and we are suppose to meet up for a reunion in Oct in Miri. That's my clue...

Do you know her? Lovely person indeed. Lisa is a good cook too. She does not blog but reads a lot of blogs. She is on facebook.

Anonymous said...

Nice post about the shop. I take my family there once in a while...most of the dishes are very nice...from the back section.

Justin.

Ensurai said...

Hi

Thanks Justin. Long time no see! Yeah...I like their chow chu mien...taste of old home.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

she's my senior or junior? No recollection of the name.

Ensurai said...

Ann
Lisa will contact you through your blog I think. She went to Tanjong Lobang School and is a good friend of my hubby. Her husband Deng was in my batch in MU. Can you send your phone to my email?

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Sorry didn't come back to this post. Was she your batch?

I email you.

I just sent you an email re editing.

Ensurai said...

She is about my age or might just be a year younger . thanks....will reply your email when I get it...there has been a lot of lagging recently.

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...