October 19, 2010

I spy with my little eye......it begins with a letter T....

Fleet Street (before you reach St. Paul's) is a street you can spend a few days walking and looking at the lovely windows. You can never ever finish having tea in the tea shops here....and if you have loads of Euros you can have a great time just drinking in the AIR and the beers in summer......or when you are tired you can sit on the steps of the Cathedral and enjoy the thousands of people taking souvenir photos. Those whose eyes look upwards are tourists...those who walk quickly down the road and never miss a step are Londoners....(especially with a newspaper under their arms or with a brief case)

When my children were young (and I was younger) we played a little game called "I spy with my little eye...." and the children would start looking at things. Perhaps that was the game which made them very observant....and perhaps I would tell them a little story associated with the "thing"...

Walking down Fleet Street (where many law students would be taking a break from their studies and go window shopping or just walk and walk......) I remembered that game and then started taking photos of things I wanted them to see! I was lucky I never had an accident while playing this game in the car!!



Do you like tea? Twinings (note the spelling) And note the two Chinese men in their traditional costumes...Have you heard of the saying...."Not for all the tea in China would I....."


Interesting sign here...apostrophe.....I suppose  English teachers pay attention to a sign like this?



Wish I have a kompia/kong pian shop and a sign board like this.


The Great Fire of London in 1600's started in Pudding Lane.....(one of those small lanes which goes into Fleet Street)

Enjoy!! Have a great day....

4 comments:

Bengbeng said...

somehow the British cities always have a staid look n not chapalang rojak look like ours :)

Ensurai said...

I would say that the architecture of olden days has more character and also reflected the tastes of those days e.g. Gothic styles etc.

However the modern day men and women are also very concerned about the environment and make buildings as pleasant as possible. The public also has more say in styles and forms. Hence lots of checks and balances.

Ah Ngao said...

i loves the olden days signboard or their "billboard" - very Gothic like you said and very antique too.especially those that the displayed outside an Inns

Ensurai said...

Yeah Ah Ngao...olden day signboards have their history and beauty...

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...