Besides the fragrant rice served in most Brunei shops is really the best of the long grained rice. Bruneians enjoy good rice (AAA)which is subsidized by the Sultan of Brunei. I too find the rice very tasty and sweet for a change from my hill padi or beras paya which comes from the lower lands..
My first impression of Ayam Penyet is that the chciken would come out smashed as the name implies. Actually ayam penyet is twice cooked chicken. First it is braised in coconut milk and spices and then deep fried. When ordering a platted rice with ayam penyet most people would ask for a drumstick which will then be a good sambal. Bruneian sambal is different from Malaysian sambal. Some raw vegetables are also given. That usually costs Bru $3.50.
This is near the Hua Ho of Kiulap.....
Here's how you can prepare your own at home.....
1 whole Chicken, cut into 4 or 8 pieces (as desired) or chicken parts of your choice.
Recipe for one chicken (for a family of 4 or 6)
- 300 ml of coconut milk
- 200 ml of water
- 1 Salaam leafs or bay
- 2 stalks fresh Lemongrass (Sereh/Serai), bruised
- Lime juice from 1 fresh lime
Spice Paste (pounded)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 Candlenuts
- 1-2 teaspoon coriander (I prefer more)
- 2 teaspoon salt
For Sambal (pound together)
- 5 red chillies
- 4 bird's eyes chillies
- 6 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt or less
- 1 teaspoon gula melaka
1. Grind or blend the spice paste.
2. Boil the chicken over slow fire with the spice paste, coconut , Salaam leafs, and water. Cook until it's tender and spices are all absorbed.
3. When the chicken is already cooked, leave it to cool for a while..
4. (If you prefer a healthy meal you need not go through this step I was told). Heat the oil in non-stick frying pan, fry the chicken until it's brown and. Set aside . When cooled cut into six or eight portions and flatten (penyet) the chicken pieces and serve.
5. sauté the sambal paste with a small amount of oil until it's fragrant for couple of minutes. When it's ready sprinkle with lime juice and then serve.