August 18, 2012

Jewelled Rice (Javaher Polow)


We are very lucky in Malaysia and particularly in Miri for we have opportunties to meet up with people of many different nationalities.

I have a special liking for rice recipes and whenever I attend functions I pay especial attention to the rice dish. I had learned from young that the special rice dish of a people is often almost sacred..and this time..the Persian Jewelled Rice is FIT for a KING. How wonderful to be able to partake of this dish in a friendly dinner in Miri recently!! The photo I have taken will keep the memories fresh...while  the aroma of the dish lingers in the mind.

With Raya perhaps tomorrow I will think of the various rice dishes offered in Sibu and in Miri -

lemang
nasi minyak
nasi briyani
nasi tomato
nasi padang
nasi lemak
nasi ulam....etc....etc...




This dish is "a crown jewel in the thousand year old Persian cuisine"!! So aptly descirbed this rice is served at Persian weddings. It is the king of rices and the rice of kings. ou 

So if you like my photos you might want to try this at least once in your life.Persian Jeweled Rice Javaher Polow...I am going to cook this more than once in my life!!.


For 6 as a royal side dish
3 cups Basmati rice
2 organic oranges
1 large carrot
1 cup dried barberries
1/2 cup raisins
1 onion
1 cup blanched whole almonds or almonds and pistachios
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp dried rosebuds
3 tbsp green cardamom pods
pinch of saffron diluted in 1 glass water
150 gr butter
2 tbsp yoghurt


May all of you  be richly blessed - may you all have good friends and lasting relationships....and lots of gatherings with great food......

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri....

4 comments:

Ann said...

but some people in my family still prefers the gold old white pearls.

Ann said...

http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.co.nz/2010/06/mellow-yellow-mondayruby-reddinner-for.html

You may have read this blog before.

Sarawakiana@2 said...

Ann...I am for different kinds of rice...looking for variety in life!!Hence my collection of rice recipes around the world.

Sarawakiana@2 said...

Thanks will read it...