March 2, 2013

Nang Chong Stories : Long Bao & Char Chii Mieng

In Nang Chong, the Foochow villagers lived together as a community. They had lived there since 1928 when my maternal grandfather started to plant rubber trees with money from the main family fund (Lau Kah Tii and Co). It was not very much but according to my mum it was good enough and every one was able to struggle hard.

Grand Uncle Kah Tii arranged for new families to come from China to tap rubber and these new migrants lived in the Coolie Houses. There were 4 coolie houses and all the families lived cosily and in harmony.


One of the dishes the Foochows cooked in those days was Char Chii Mien - translated into Bahasa it is Mee Goreng Basah.

This how a bowl of char chii mien look like when you put your chop sticks into the bowl and dig up the various ingredients ..the fragrance is unbelieveable. And you go into a nostalgic trance. You almost imagine that your maternal grandmother is sitting in front of you and you would be picking up the poached egg with your Chinese spoon for her. Here Grandma let me show you my filial piety...have the soft egg. I know you will like it very much. My maternal grandmother's love for poached eggs was well known from one end of the village to the other.

In English it is Fried Noodle Soup. It has a good taste , a fusion of noodles which have been fried and a nice soup which comes from stir fried meat, prawns, fish, pig stomach and fish with some vegetables. It is indeed a meal by itself.
Another favourite addition of the dish is a poached egg. This is like the creme de la creme of a dish.




A short cut to the Char Chii Mieng is to boil the noodles quickly in a large pot and then add them into a boiled soup of nice ingredients. But nothing can beat the original recipe of Char Chii Mien my Third Uncle Lau Pang Sing made for my Maternal Grandmother Tiong Lian Tie and all of us nieces and nephews when we went visiting Nang Chong Village in the 60's.



6 comments:

mezzo solo said...

good memories always add “marks“ 。

lets appreciate old foods。。

William said...

CY, do you know how to cook the traditional Char Chii Mieng?

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do уou know if theу make
any plugins to assist with Seaгch Εngine Optimіzation?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm
not sеeing vеry good results. If you know of any
plеase shaгe. Many thanks!

My weblog visit the next website page

Sarawakiana@2 said...

Thanks. Many people have remarked that a photo of char chii mien always brings back lots of wonderful memories. this shows that ccm is something dear to the hearts of most Foochows.

Sarawakiana@2 said...

I suppose I know how to cook it my family style. Put a bit of this, put a bit of that...but there are some really good recipes in the newer cook books from Sibu and even West Malaysia. The secret is in the stock. Need to have bone soup and with pig stomach.

Sarawakiana@2 said...

I am sorry I don't know about it...