June 10, 2015

Sibu Tales : Whitewash

Whitewash - family wooden house in  Kung Ping Road Sibu. My father inherited the house from my grandfather who moved to a better house in Sungei Merah. And we moved over from Pulau Kerto just in time for me to start Primary School at the Methodist Primary School Sibu.

As a child I was not too happy staying in a wooden house while many of my friends lived in concrete houses until my ngie mah taught me a lesson or two. She reminded me that "refugees" had no pillow to rest on until they found a Godly place to sleep and then she started telling me stories from the Bible. She was illiterate but she remembered so many stories "by heart". After her stories, I felt better and appreciated the peeling white washed walls of our wooden houses.


Whitewash - Tom SawyerImage result for white wash walls tom sawyer

Reading Tom Sawyer gave me an uplifted sense of wonder. Fences in the US were white washed. There was this big house called White House. After that, I thought that all houses painted in white, or white washed were just lovely. One night as I cycled home from MYF I saw my wooden house gleaming pale white in the dark. I was glad I 'was coming HOME". I had a home in which lived my parents, my siblings and my grandma.



White Wash - today many people have forgotten about white washing as a metaphor. May be it has gone out of use. Obsolescence? Never mind. writers, politicians, tycoons. do a lot of white washing.
No photo description available.


White wash in Fujian...for the first time I realised that white wash could be just made in a backyard. In Minqin I saw this..and men came to collect their white wash in their pails, ride off in their tricycle for their day's earning.

Whitewash cannot be erased from my memory.

No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...