December 22, 2017

Sibu Tales : Siblings visiting each other Ensurai



My third aunt, Pearl married into the Lau family and lived in the huge Lau Mansion in Ensurai, before the Second World War. My aunt's father in law was none other than the famous Foochow Headman, Lau Kah Tii, who was later to become my maternal grand uncle in 1948 when my father married my mother.

The wedding of Aunt Pearl and Lau Pang Kwong was sort of wedding of the decade because it was a huge church wedding well organized at the Masland Church and the banquet was sumptious and attended by hundreds of well wishers, friends and relatives. My maternal grandma later told us , " Every one up and down the river was invited."

My great grandfather was still alive and was very happy about the marriage which united two large and prominent families.

Just before the Second World War, my other aunts enjoyed visiting the big mansion from time to time. Ensurai was 2 hours by boat from Sibu and a visit would mean staying over night, or for a few days. There were so many rooms in the Lau Mansion that most of my aunts who were of school going age, and still boarding in Yuk Ing School, were really impressed.

One of the reasons why my grand uncle built the large mansion was because he wanted his house to provide accommodation for new migrants from Fujian to Sibu. Hence there were as many as 20 rooms in the mansion.

Aunt Pearl's husband, Uncle Pang Kwong who owned a camera, took many photos in those days. One of the photos taken was this one of my 4th Aunt visiting Aunt Pearl.  Uncle Pang Kwong also took many photos of my uncles visiting the family in Ensurai.

Visitors who stayed in the mansion were usually formally dressed as my grand uncle enjoyed having scholars coming to the house to give talks in those days. Firthermore, he engaged tutors to teach all his grand children. My grand uncle wore formal clothes because he sort of held office meetings daily with the local people, and listened to complaints and addressed social issues.

During the Japanese Occupation, the Lau Mansion gave refuge to many scholars and celebrities because grand uncle, Lau Kah Tii was a very generous and accommodating host. Being 2 hours from Sibu, few Japanese soldiers would come and bother the people of Ensurai without good reasons.

Aunt Maggie eventually in the photo was able to study nursing in Singapore and took nursing as her career in life. She was probably one of the first Sibu Foochow girls to be qualified in nursing.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...