August 6, 2010

Wonder Plant at Hawaii Beach of Miri

I am wondering if my friend Greenspot can identify this plant I found in Hawaii Beach in Miri. It is the only plant growing by itself. It has a very interesting seed. And its leaves are pretty.

Tacca leontopetaloides (Bako National Park Borneo by Stephen P. Teo)

Pretty plant and a magnificent stem topped or crowned with flowers and pods.



A stem shooting upwards with a crown of little pods and tiny flowers.
Tiny pods and flowers seem to grow out of a long stem shooting up from a base of leaves.



Close up of flowers and pods.


Leaves of the plant.

4 comments:

Bengbeng said...

curious too what plant this is.. most unusual

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarawakiana!

It is a species of the Tacca. A photo of the plant is in the bako book.

And if you are a Prof., how many marks would you give me so far?

Greenspot

Sarawakiana@2 said...

Hi Beng Beng'
Greenspot has the answer....

Sarawakiana@2 said...

Greenspot...
since you have been spot on for me all these while...I have to give you A+....I wish all Malaysians can get high marks like you.

thanks ...

Sibu Tales : Water Chestnut

Fresh water chestnuts in Miri Years ago it was hard to get fresh water chestnuts in the market in Sibu. Usually mothers would desperat...