I am keeping my mind open....and let's see whether my Foochow and Teochew friends will say something different!!
This posting is dedicated to my young school friend Evelyn Fong......as I remember her parents the late Mr and Mrs.Baughman who showed how kindness and gentle ways could win people over in my younger days in Sibu.....Cheers Evelyn!!
Recipe is for six person (small bowls) or 3 persons (big bowls)
A. Boil the following in a pot with 6 bowls of water or more. Add if the soup seems to dry up!!
2 big bulbs of garlic (or more if you love garlic)
1 thumb size ginger (sliced)
4 tbsp black peppercorn(crushed)
3 tbsp cloves
6 pieces of star anise
3 cinnamon sticks
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbps light soy sauce
6 black cardamom
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 to 1 tbsp five spice powder
3-4 pieces of dried chillies (soaked)
Optional : a knob of b lue ginger - smashed
1 to 2 packets of kueh chap pieces thai ones) - prepare as instructed.
C. If you prefer ONLY Vegetarian ingredients -
for vegetarian Kueh Chap soup - add suitable amount of gluten mushroom and ham to make the soup
6 pieces of dried mushrooms
D. For both vegetarian and Non vegetarian Kueh Chap
1/4 kg fu chook (soaked and made ready)
1/4 kg fried tou hoo (slice into two pieces each)
1/4 kg bean curd sticks (broken into bite sizes and softened)
E. For non vegetarian kueh chap
1 pork knuckles or chicken body parts (remove skin)
1/2 - l kg kg belly pork or lean meat or chicken meat3 - 6 hard boiled eggs (without shell)
as much pork intestines and pig ears or more chicken meat as you like.
F. Chili sambal
1 teaspoon belacan
G. Extra chopped garlic for individuals who may like garlic......
1.For non vegetarian kueh chap - boil the knuckle ; offals and meats for as long as you like. (do prepare the pig's ears and intestines well)
2. For vegetarian- boil gluten mushroom and ham to prepare for the soup separately for as long as you like.
3.. boil the dry ingredients in 6 cups of water for 1 hour over slow fire.
4. Add 1 and soup only of 2 (discard all the herbs etc) together. Add some more water if the soup is too salty.
5. Prepare the toufoo etc.
6. Add the kueh chap (prepared according to the packet)
7. Add the bean curd sticks and other ingredients.
1. Place 6 bowls on table. Put meats etc. in bowl. Keep boiling the soup over slow fire.
2. Put kueh chap into the bowls.
3. Give one egg or 1/2 egg per person
4. Garnish with coriander leaves.
5. Prepared chopped garlic and sambal belacan and chillies too.....place in small individual dishes.