May 16, 2015

China Series : Visiting Great Great Grandfather's Home in Minqing



My Grandfather's cousins who still live in Wun Chieh (near King Sa), Minqing,gave me a warm welcome when I visited in 2015.
This is the hilly kampong where my ancestors came from - Wun Chieh - the Land of Clouds
The land that they cultivated on remain the same as the time my grandfather and great grandfather left in 1903. Even after the cultural revolution in China, the tenancy and land ownership were not changed in any way. My relatives continue to harvest their bamboo shoots, plant vegetables, dry the vegetables as part of their subsistence agriculture but many other cousins and nephews and nieces have become migrant workers and professionals in big cities. My Uncle Chu King is a sub contractor in King Sa but with good roads and a motor bike he can commute easily.

My great great parents and their brothers and cousins were still buried in the same place up above the hills.


No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...