October 5, 2015

Nang Chong Stories : Geng Niang (Seat of District Office)

My paternal great grandfather and grandfather , maternal grandfather came to Ming Chiang Geng (town of Ming Chiang) to meet Wong Nai Siong, after hearing about Wong Nai Siong's mission to bring Foochow pioneers to Sibu. They must have done some official documentation here before leaving for Nanyang. The pioneers had to go by boat to Mawei where they boarded their ship to Singapore.

My paternal grandfather and his brother came from Wun Chieh, a very hilly region of Minqing.
Here is a photo I took when I paid a visit not long ago. Today the road is excellent and there are many viaducts and bridges to go up to the high mountains. My ancestors were all buried in high mountain sides.

Image result for old Minqing


My maternal grandparents came from Ban Dong, or 6 Du, nearer to Wong Nai Siong's home.

They would not have imagined that their poor county seat would be this prosperous in 120 years' time.

Image result for Minqing city
Our ancestors would not believe that their Geng Niang would be so westernized like this.
They left in 1901, and more than 118 have passed. My grandfather was 18 years old at that time.

I used to hear my grandmother mentioning Geng Niang this and Geng Niang that...I wish I could hear them tell their stories again and again.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...