November 16, 2017

Sarawakian Local Delights : Rojak Sauce

For a long time many of my friends wonder why the rojak sauce recipe is hard to get.

Many cooks say that their recipes are family secrets and they would not give to any one. I had a hard time to get some one to give me a recipe. In fact a few times I was so broken hearted because I just could not make my own sauce for a plate of rojak I might want to serve at home.


Well today, Google does not keep any secret.

Here is one simple recipe, which gives you a rojak dipping sauce, without any cooking.


2 tbsp shrimp paste/belacan
3 tbsp tamarind mix (1tbsp fresh tamarind juice with 2 tbsp warm water)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp. white sugar
1 stalk of chili padi (optional)
2 tbsp toasted peanuts

All you need is just to mix or blend these ingredients together.
Image may contain: food
My photo of a nice rojak in Miri.

Another recipe from Google is this one.

1. Pour the water into the saucepan and place it over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat to low. 2. Add the dark brown sugar to the saucepan and stir with a whisk until it dissolves.3.Add the oyster sauce, shrimp paste and tamarind paste to the saucepan and continue whisking for two minutes. 4.Stir the Scotch bonnet pepper into the contents of the saucepan and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes. 5.Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool for 30 minutes or to room temperature before tossing with rojak.


things you will need: 



No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...