August 14, 2010

Colours on the porch - Desert Rose Bonzai

My friends staying in Kuala Belait have a lovely house.

The couple grow a lot of flowers to make their home colourful and pretty. This year they have special interests in desert roses.

This is a pot of two colour combination desert rose.

Pretty pink ones which really bloom for days!!

This is a special bonzai. Desert Rose makes good bonzai actually. That is why people love them.



Here is a redder type.

P/s

Desert Rose - Adenium obesum is a strange, succulent-like small shrub, widely recognized for its pleasing flowers which come in a multitude of colors. The plant also has a unique growth habit, developing a large caudex at its base.


A short evergreen or decidious (in some climates) shrub, usually growing to more than 7-9ft. Many specimens remain only 1-3ft tall and the plant is fairly slow-growing. Tubular flowers are born on and off throughout the year and are generally some mix of white, red, and pink. A swollen caudex slowly grows at the plants' base with scraggly branches eminating out.


Hardy to around 30F.


Grow in full sun. Great container specimen, doesn't need too much room for roots. Water moderately, only when needed. Be careful not to overwater.

4 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

In NTU, I was the one eye being king to the blind. The Ang Mos didn't know the tropical plants, so I was the chief gardener.

I used to grow this plant. I was told when the branches have flowered to cut real back, so the flowers will bloom more. At first I felt it was like mutilating the plant, but I found it really work.

Daniel Yiek said...

Wow! Nice

Ensurai said...

Dear Ann
Prune...prune..prune...this is the gardener's secret to many great blooms...

I had some but may be with neighbour's high walls on two sides my plants are not getting enough sun...so they don't bloom as well...I have only two pots left of these desert blooms. I used to have 8. I grow grass!! hehehehehe.

Ensurai said...

Daniel\
Thanks...these are really lovely. Her family at one time lived in Sarikei...now they are mainly in Kuching and Melbourne.

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...