April 11, 2011

The China my great grandfather left behind 110 years ago Wun Chieh.

The China my Great Grandfather and Grandfather left behind. My great grandfather went back to China once, and for some reasons my grandfather never went back. After he passed away my grandmother Siew visited Wun Chieh and she went all the way up to the mountain by sedan chair.

Today we can reach Wun Chieh by car.
Image may contain: house, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

From my ancestral home, I could see a beautiful piece of land well cultivated and well tended. There is a wooden bridge indicating a good stream is flowing through the village. There are about 10 family homes here. Most of the young people have gone "out" of the village to work in BEijing, and especially Shanghai and Shenzen. Many have gone to universities.

My great great grandfather's tomb is still intact but I did go up the hill (about 400 to 600 feet above the village). My cousins and two uncles (twice removed) are looking after the ancestral home and the shrines. All of them are not Christians. A few nephews and nieces are working outside.

The villagers continue to grow vegetables, forage for herbs, dry bamboo shoots (the traditional occupation) and other vegetables for sale in Kin Sar.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...