July 25, 2011

Methodist 50th Anniversary Building, Sibu.

No photo description available.

This was a very special building for me because my grand aunt or Goo Poh, Chang Yuk Ging lived her almost all her life after the building was constructed in 1951.

This building was constructed with the money raised by the Methodist Church of Sarawak when it celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1951. Aptly it was called the Methodist 50th Anniversary Building.

There were actually 5 rooms upstairs with a common kitchen. A room was occupied by Rev Ting, Miss Ngu, Miss Hii and Miss Wong, and my aunt. It was amazing how this boarding school like apartment was shared harmoniously by these 5 ladies.

There was a spacious living room and my siblings and I, my cousins and later my aunt, Ik Ding's children crowded there, all wanting to have her attention. My soft spoken Grand Aunt, loved us all.

Indeed there was so much power in her gentleness. (I tweaked this quotation from Goethe)

Downstairs were two rooms, The front room was for a kindergarten class and the room at the back was a store room.

From my classrooms in the Methodist Primary school, I could see who walked up the long stair case. It was always very exciting to see my Grandfather walking up the stair case to visit his sister. We would know that we would have extra for recess.


No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...