May 27, 2012

Sungei Merah of the 1980's

In 1983 I bought a house in Sg. Merah from the Chew Brothers (they were the developers of the Quentin Hsu land) and we moved in.

We made friends with our new neigbhours who were all friends of the Chews. Best of all, our immediate neighbour was Miss Maria Dris, my friend.

I liked the comfort of shopping in the shops of the bazaar and every one knew every one.No photo description available.

I liked best the fruit stalls which were also frequented by people from Sibu. The wooden stalls were good for storing huge bunches of bananas in fact and a few of the fruit sellers actually lived in the wooden stalls.No photo description available.

In the evenings I would go down to the bazaar, have my hair wash by aunty whose shop was by the river side and take my kids for a walk around town to buy some sundry goods. But most importantly we would buy the hot buns which the kids would pack for their school the next day. We loved the tousa best. But I was fond of the butter buns. We might pick up some long gor (Foochow cup cakes).

I can still smell the aroma of the hot buns coming out of the ovens.

Every one was kind, and no one was really busy.

That was probably the meaning of a sleepy bazaar. Some how life was so special because of all those nice wooden shops and the crowded five foot way.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...