January 8, 2013

Fortune Tellers

My grandmother Siew believed in fortune tellers like any China born Fujianese. And so did many Foochow women who were not committed Methodists.

Whenever these women had some problems in their lives they would consult the local fortune teller. Others would like to know their fortunes and their children's fortunes.No photo description available.

I also believe that many women who had some family problems like disagreement, bad relationships, lack of a male offspring would also consult the spirits to find out what the future would hold for them.

One of the most popular fortune tellers in Sibu was the man who told fortunes with the help of a bird. However he only operated after 7 pm. For he said, the bird would only be most able after that time. It was therefore quite eerie to visit this fortune teller who was located most of the time along the Bank Road.

I think many people of my age had their fortunes told by that particular bird.

My fortune? I could shoot a bird flying high...may be that is true..because now I take photos of birds.



No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...