July 29, 2013

西洋菜 soup

Related image
Chinese Water Cress Soup (from Google)


After I went to study in KL for a year, I came home to Sibu and advised my mother to cook water cress soup.

It was quite an expensive vegetable because no Foochow farmers ever grew them. We had to buy water cress from a Cantonese Ah Moo who had a few plots in her backyard.

After I cooked the pork bone stock, and added some garlic and red dates, I put in a small bunch of water cress.

None of my family liked it. So I never cooked it again. 

My mother said that the vegetables was too chou chang (too green) for her taste.

However later on in life, I would cook the soup every now and then on a Sunday, when I knew I would be able to drink a lot of the soup myself.

Perhaps it was because of the way I was brought up, I would not throw anything that is good away. Water cress is a good vegetable.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...