April 16, 2014

Hydrangea in Cornwall

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

The hydrangea was first grown in Japan. This flower has a very strong position in Japanese tradition. It is usually gifted to others if they hurt them or insulted them in anyway. I like that.

An old Japanese story tells of a Japanese Emperor who gifted hydrangea flowers to a young maiden as an apology for his absence.

The hydrangea flower was named after the Greek word for water, "hydros" and jar or jug. Since the ancient Greek time, the hydrangea name remains popular among scientists and common people.

The Hydrangea flower was named after the Greek word for water “hydros” and jar or jug. Since this period, the Hydrangea name remained popular among scientists and also common people. The flower requires a lot of moisture for its growth and development.
When I visited Cornwall, I saw a remarkable hydrangea bush grown by Mrs. Tomlinson  outside her kitchen.

It really gave me a wonderful feeling when I did my laundry with the hydrangeas looking at me. They made my chores lighter.

I found out that hydrangeas become pink or purple or blue according to the acidity of the soil. Now I have forgotten what gives what colour.

There is also a special meaning to the  hydrangeas with colour purple . It is a symbol of desire for deeper understanding and it can also be a symbol of wealth and abundance. It would thus be a great decoration piece in a home.



Image result for deep purple hydrangeas in China
Photo from Google. Deep purple.

But I love them all especially the deep purple ones.




No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...