June 19, 2015

Sibu Tales : Railways in the Kong Thye area

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

Spending a weekend visitng Tien Jing Primary school with my grandmother was a treat. I was frequently asked by my ngie mah (maternal grandmother) to accompany her when she visited her children and relatives because I was outgoing and fairly fearless. Besides I was able to take good care of her at my age. Perhaps it was because I was fairly street smart.

The Tien Jing Primary school was near the Kong Thye Sawmill so when a good movie was shown, my aunt, a teacher there, would take all of us to see a movie. That was a really good treat. Besides, it was FREE as my aunt was well connected. My uncle was a very quiet man and he did not say very much. On the other hand, my aunt was a good story teller and we loved listening to her stories, under the star lit skies. She was very sporting.

When we waited for the boat to go back to Sibu, we would have opportunities to look around. If the logs were coming out from the interior I would take time to watch the workers. Grandma would always warn me not to look at the workers just in case I got into trouble.

But as a 12 year old, I was too young to know anything about being molested.  My thinking then was this : if I called the men uncles, would they do anything bad to me?

And there was a mini zoo near the sawmill too.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...