July 14, 2016

Chang Ta Kang : The First Foochow Mechanized Brickyard in Sarawak

Image may contain: outdoor

In 1958 Sibu saw the first machinery used to produced lovely bricks. Furthermore the bricks had a lovely mark, KAB imprinted by a simple labelling machine. the brickworks was set up in Sg. Aup, about 1 hour drive from Sibu.

My Minqing speaking grandfather had sold his Hock Hua Bank shares in order to start his own enterprise. Hock Hua bank's majority shareholders then were Kutien. He was outvoted, I heard, by 1 to 67, or something like that and he did not take that very well.

Well that was the dialectic politics of those days.

My father was made the first manager of the brickworks


Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, outdoor

The brick factory was frequently visited by students and uniformed groups. Here I am with my friends, in Girl Guide uniform. My guider, Mrs. Temple brought us to have a picnic in Sg. Aup. Memorable.





No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...