September 24, 2017

Up for some Smelly Root Soup?

Good health from roots and wild plants !!
No photo description available.



Eating a bowl of Chowirah (Smelly Root Soup) with soh mien is very nourishing indeed.

A few days ago I was exhausted from travelling and also work (both mentally and physically) and I pushed myself to drive to the town to have a bowl of smelly root soup with soh mien. It really helped me to sleep better that night. I also consulted my cousin, Nei Hung, the owner of Ing Kong Drug Store who advised me to take more of the soup made from smelly root.

He kindly cut some pieces for me to boil with pork leg for another boost replenish my health. He advised me to drink the soup for the next two days. After three days of taking the smelly root soup I was really rejuvenated.No photo description available.
the Foochows humourously call Chowirah "Poor Man's Ginseng". May our ancestors' souls be blessed.




These roots in the photo are actually from Minqing, Fujian. They are actually roots of the wild pepper or litsea.

This plant is found in Bario and other highlands in Sarawak.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...