February 12, 2018

Sibu Tales : Collecting dew and Bamboo tips

Image may contain: plant, flower, grass, outdoor and nature

When we were young we were taught by our maternal grandma to household chores, to remember moral stories from Ancient China and to recognise relatives, and especially how to call them. Besides she also taught us what she knew about Chinese folk medicine.

Among the many, I remember collecting dew drops early in the morning in a Chinese bowl and pulling out bamboo leaf tips.

My sisters and I would pull out the bamboo leaf tips, and my second sister would collect the dew drops in the small bowl. Once she collected half a bowl, she would go back into the house. My grandmother would then take the bamboo leaf tips and the bowl of dew drops to steam over a low fire for my brother who was quite sickly then.

This was a good antidote for heatiness in the body.

We must have collected a few hundred bowls of dew drops over the years.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...