July 5, 2018

Ikan Gongjeng or Phoenix Tail Fish

Image may contain: food
Ikan Gongjeng is a favourite salted fish sold in the Chinese salt fish market for many years in Sibu. My mother and I would get a bit to fry and we must not over buy because mum has high blood pressure. But when she was sad she would always want to have some salty on the table like salted eggs and salted preserved tofu.
 But her favourite would be the Ern Mui Ngii.

the Fish is exactly that. It has a long red tail.
For me especially I would love to bit off the crispy tail.

Mum would always say that the tail is too small. Nothing much. Would I in life become Nothing Much?

In Sibu mothers competed with each other to see if their children became doctors or engineers. Even my paternal grandmother was competitive. She was happy to see her own grandchildren becoming doctors. some mothers were so protective of their sons who were studying medicine at the university that they would not even talk to mothers who daughters were not in medical school, just in case such good relationships would make them in laws.

One mother even said openly that she hoped her son would marry a doctor. This was how competitive women could be.

Back to small fish. Little fish also refers to people who are not capable.
No photo description available.
One of the best dishes to have with your nasi lemak is deep fried battered ikan Gongjeng. I would rather have ikan gongjeng . I remember a married friend told me that she was happy to share ONE KFC drumstick with her loving husband for lunch. They are still happily married today. Yes her GRACE would be, "Thank you Lord, for the food we are about to SHARE. Help us Lord to be always grateful for what we have."

Life is simple and sweet if you are happy with what little food you have in front of you and you can still say your GRACE for every meal you have. Thank you Lord for the food you put in front of me, for my sustenance and for my bodily needs. Related imageImage may contain: food


I ended up as a teacher and later lecturer.

However after I retired I had a second lease of life, after a heart by pass I decided to pick up a camera and start to record things I did not want to forget.

My friends all helped me to become a photo journalist. It has been almost 15 years!!

Each time I come across ikan gongjeng I would think of the conversation with my mum about men and women who amount to little.

To many people I might be a Hu mui ngii. Very small fish. It is ok with me. I eat well, I sleep well and I have friends and family. I am grateful for all things given to me by God.

I am passing my life's philosophy to friends and my children.

God loves all things bright and beautiful,
He loves all things big and small.
He loves all things he has created.
He loves you especially because he crated you.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...