July 19, 2018

Nang Chong Stories : Grandma's favorite dishes

I grew up in Sibu town and loved visiting in my grandma in the village of Nang Chong. It was in the village that I learned to eat three important vegetables of my life.

My ngie mah loved to eat vegetables. In those days meat was only available on certain occasions. When my grandmother accompanied the smoked rubber sheets to Sibu and she collected the fees from the middleman, Hock Chiong Shop belonging to Towkay Wong Sing Keng.

When my aunts slaughtered one of their pigs for sale, we would have some pork for a few meals.

When hunters came to sell their game, we would be happy to see some nicely cooked wild boar or deer on the dining table.

herng chai 
Grandma loved three special vegetable dishes : herng chai (normally we Foochows would cook it with sun dried chieng mien)


 Image may contain: foodchow chai - hung ngang and


Image may contain: flower, plant and food

lang ging hern (which can also be stir fried with hoon ngang.




No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...