July 14, 2018

Sibu Tales : Pig's Tails with black beans

Image may contain: food

My grandfather was already in his 70's when I started getting to know him well. We were actually quite scared of him because he was a disciplinarian and would not be afraid to use the cane on his own children and any of the grand children.

However my grandfather had a charmed life. My father's stepmother (Grandma Siew) was a good cook who loved to cook for grandpa the best of food she could think of. So he was really blessed in his old age, a hardworking and good cook of a life partner who also gave him three more children.

One of the dishes she cooked for my grandfather was the steame pig's tail with black beans. I remember she would get my adopted aunt to cycle to the market to fetch a pig tail and she would cut the pig tail up and marinate in soy sauce. The tell tale black beans soaking in a bowl in the kitchen the day before would announce the special dish she was going to prepare for my grandfather.

This particular dish would be only for my grandfather's meal. We kids would eat first but when later grandfather sat at the table, he would call each one of us to his side and we would get a small piece from him and run away so happily to the garden or a corner of the house to enjoy the special "grandpa's meat".

It is fun remembering such little significant events of my childhood.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...