August 10, 2018

Foochow Almond Drink

Image may contain: food



 

When was the first time you had Almond Drink with Milk in a Coffee Shop?

Almond drink or milk is now a trendy drink in western countries.

But when I was young, heng ying lu or essence was a home remedy for cough. Many parents did not bring their kids to see doctors because they did not have the time. They had to tap rubber every day or work in some companies.

Whenever I visited my grand parents during the holidays and I happened to have a cough, my grandfather would always buy me a cup of hot almond drink (without milk) in a coffee shop . It probably cost only 5 cents.

I would always think that that particular gesture was a loving act. What great memories of a kind old man who loved his grandchildren.

Fujian people love almond drink. Heng Ying Ngor

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...