September 20, 2018

Sibu Tales : Rice Powder for Face



When I went to Kuala Lumpur to study, one evening I was frightened by my room mate who opened our room door and she appeared with her face all covered with a white powder.

The corridor of our hostel was usually dimly lit to save electricity.

I let out a big scream.

That was my introduction to rice powder made in Penang. It is called Bedak Sejuk.


Image result for rice powder for face made in Penang

"The rice grain has traditionally been considered a source of beauty in Asia. In Indonesia, white rice was soaked with spring water until a layer of froth forms at the top of the water. The froth would be skimmed off to be applied on acne prone skin. This formula is also used to whiten and smoothen the complexion. Over sustained use, the skin is protected from various kinds of diseases related to old age and infections. This range of rice products have been used for many generations of discerning Asian women. No fancy packaging or advertising, just the natural goodness and honesty of rice."

The rice powder is sold in bottles but the powder is in the form of tablets. It is a kind of beauty culture of the West Malaysian women for they like to keep their face cool and soft.

In fact I never got used to using rice powder on my face. And may be that is why my face is a bit coarse and rough now...

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...