October 2, 2018

Sibu Tales : Nanjing's Salted Duck


My grandfather was happy proud to be able to afford to send my father and his third brother to Nanjing/Shanghai to study. They left Sibu as junior students after studying in the Anglo Chinese Boys' School established by Rev James Hoover in Sibu. Both of them also learned a lot of English from their maternal uncle and aunt, Mr and Mrs. JB Chong.

My father upon completion of his Middle High School,continued to study in Beijing,  having qualified for Yen Ching University. Third Uncle went back to Sibu to help my grandfather in his business in Mee Ang Rice Mill, Binatang.

My father was thus exposed to many cuisines while studying in China. Furthermore, over the years my father continued to like cooking and introducing new dishes to my mother and friends. Perhaps he was one of the earliest foodies in Sibu. He actually taught my mother whom he married after the Second World War, how to prepare the Nanjing Salted Duck besides many other dishes he learnt from China.

My mother reared a lot of ducks when we were living in Pulau Kerto and my father was manager of the Hua Hong Ice Factory. We had lots of duck to eat and my father enjoyed teaching my mother how to prepare many different dishes he had learned to eat in China.


Image result for nanjing salted duck
Photo from Google. Korean Version of Nanjing Salted Duck
The Nanjing Salted Duck  (Chinese盐水鸭) has a great history, perhaps dating back to the 14th century but it grew more famous during the Qing Dynasty.

According to my mother, my father told her that in China the Nanjing Salted Duck was best eaten in Mid Autum when Osmanthus (gui hua) was blooming and could be added to the marinade for the duck.
One of my aunts' is named after the flower. Nanjing is also known as the Duck Capital of China. 

The duck is marinated with salt and pepper for several hours and then cooked in a pot of water. It is then pickled in the cooking brine for several hours after which it is hung to dry in an airy place. The duck is then returned to the soup pot and again more ingredients are added like ginger, onion and star anise. The duck is simmered again for 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Finally the duck is cut into strips and served.

Today one can easily buy this dish vacuumed packed on line or in souvenir shops in Nanjing and many cities in China.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...