October 12, 2018

Sibu Tales : My Father's Salted Chicken

My father travelled a great deal as a photographer, journalist, a banker (only a few years) and business man.

Upon from his return to Sibu, he would always bring a new recipe or two to try out and my mother would be his willing apprentice. This would follow a few trials by the two of them in the kitchen. My maternal grandmother would only be too happy to enjoy some of their successes.

Sometimes when my maternal grandmother brought the chickens from Nang Chong, my father would take one to cook his favourite dishes. Thus the village reared, corn fed and free range chickens were very welcome by my family.

Foochows would bring a token of live chicken whenever they visited their relatives, whether they stayed for a day or a week. This was called MING NENG or FACE FRONT, a gift. My Ngie ma never failed to bring her gifts.

Image may contain: food


Since we all liked chicken in those days, my father would introduce a new chicken recipe to the family.Image may contain: one or more people

One of the dishes he brought back was the salted chicken recipe. He even bought the grease paper which he needed for the new dish. Later we discovered that we could buy grease paper from Kim guan Siang, a favourite supermarket in Sibu.

Thus our family learned how to cook this special salted chicken dish from my father.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...