November 19, 2018

Sibu Tales : Wide Feet and Spreading Toes

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and close-up

Each time I look at my toes I remember my aunts and cousins who have almost the same toes, toes which are a little too spreading.

According to my cousin, who is a teacher, our toes are a little too widespread because we did not wear shoes when we were younger. And furthermore we were tasked with tapping rubber trees and collecting of rubber latex which included the excruciating painful walking in the rubber garden. Our paths were often crissed crossed by rubber tree roots which protruded from the forest floor. Our toes became very adaptive and they could grip the roots to prevent us from falling all over.

so perhaps our toes had that special ability to grip the roots!!

I remember when my aunts and cousins came to town by the river motor launches, they would carry their shoes in their hands. They would wear their shoes only when they alighted from the motor launches or when came to the streets. It was difficult for them to wear shoes for in about half an hour they would have blisters in the heels.

Having blisters was a big problem for most of us in those days.


No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...