December 15, 2018

Sarawakian Local Delights : Rubber Seeds

No automatic alt text available.

I have both sets of grandparents who owned rubber gardens and have cousins who tapped rubber. In fact my maternal grandmother and my third uncle managed a rubber smoke house after the Japanese war in Nang Chong village.

Thus in a way I am very familiar with the rubber industry. However I have never eaten rubber seeds until recently.

The rubber seeds are salted and boiled. In the photo, the seeds are soften and ready to be re-cooked. They can be stir fried with ikan bilis or even deep fried. Actually they taste rather like chestnuts if they are boiled in sugary and saltish water.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...