April 23, 2019

Penang Lady : Hostel Mother in Kapit

Dear Chang Yi,


Thanks for your email regarding the Hostel Mom.
Image may contain: 3 people, including Judy Wong Liong Yung and Rose Khoo, people smiling, people standing

Just FYI I was commissioned by our Penang Wesley Church to serve in Kapit mission field in year 1959 after I graduated from Trinity Theological College. The Iban Mission assigned me to look after the Iban Girls' Hostel in Sputin (spelling) across the river from Kapit and the Rev. Donald Moore was my BOSS because Rev. Burr Baughman and his family were on furlough in the States. In 1959 I was in charged of the Iban Girls' Hostel and an Iban man, named Ajang, was in charged of the Iban Boys' Hostel.


In 1959, one of the teachers in our Methodist Primary School Kapit suddenly resigned in September and the Dr. Ding Lik Kiu asked me whether I would mind help them out teaching in The Methodist School as well. My response was that if God wanted me to teach I definitely would say, " Yes, Lord. " So therefore I was serving in two mission positions, i.e. Hostel Mother and teacher from Sept. to Dec., 1959.


At the end of 1959 Dr. Ding asked me to give up the Hostel Mother position and move to Kapit town to teach full time and take care of the Christ Hospital Guest House together with Mrs. Ling Kie Hing (Rev. Ling Kie Hing's wife) in Kapit. The reason was that Mrs. Ling could not communicate in Iban nor English.


Later on the Women's Division built the Iban Girls' Hostel in Kapit town in 1960 and Flor was then the Hostel Mom, before which the Women's Division did ask me to carry on being the Hotel Mom in 1960, but I declined that was when Flor was appointed to be the Hostel Mom.


Thanks again. Continue to pray for Haiti's situation and USA current politics.


I shall send you the Leadership Development International (LDI) email address soon.


In His love,


Lilyc,



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Chang Yi
To: judywly@gmail.com
Cc: Piak Huan Tan ; CHONGGIW@aol.com; Ding lau ; Alice Wong ; jackief@mail.acninc.net; Jpandong@gmail.com
Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 7:33:27 PM
Subject: Mary Giman


Dear all

Here are two photos which I digitalized from Flor Woodford's collection. Many are blurred and I could not do a good job...

But let not our memories be blur!

God bless

changyi

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...