August 13, 2019

International Left Handers Day

No photo description available.
August 13 is International Lefthanders Day.

My mother is left handed. My second sister is left handed but to please teachers in school, my sister learned to use her right hand. Now she is almost 70 she is able to use both hands. She would have loved to use her left hand all her life.


I have had my struggle with teachers too when my two girls went to school. they are both left handed and they stay left handed. 

Left-handed people haven’t always been treated well throughout history. They’ve been persecuted for their disposition, being been labeled as evil – or even as witches – despite making up about 10% of the population. In fact, the word “sinister” comes from “left” or “left hand.” 

Research since the 1980s has found that our preference for our left or right hand is most likely determined before we are born – ultrasound screenings suggest as early as the eighth week of pregnancy. From the 13th week in the womb, babies tend to suck either their right or their left thumb.(source : Lindsay DodgsonBusiness Insider US ) 

The world is meant for right handers. Door knobs, silver ware on table settings, most knives,  and especially scissors.

I was dismayed when both my girls did badly in art because they could not use the right handers' scissors well. They were getting D's and were often hit by their teachers. I was glad that the wife of my former Principal, Mrs. KV Wiltshire sent a pair of left handers' scissors from Singapore to help them. I will always be grateful to her for her understanding and kindness.

Today both my left handed daughters are artistic and manage their life well. 30 years down the road, more and more people are becoming more aware of the needs of left handers. And many products have started to be made for left handers.

Happy LEFT Handers' Day.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...