August 10, 2019

Sibu Tales : Umbrella for Foochow Wedding

No photo description available.
For four or five generations, the Foochows, who migrated to Sibu in 1901 and 1902 continue to practise the traditional wedding customs.

One of the main customs practised is to cover the face of the bride from the sun with an umbrella. It is believed that the open red umbrella symbolises protection of the bride from any bad luck. Perhaps this is to replace the traditional veil?

This  photo from my friend in Sibu, Elaine, is very pretty. A bridesmaid usually carries the red umbrella.

When I got married, I remember there was no red umbrella for me, or rather, my family did not keep the tradition for me.

Or is it a custom the groom's side insist? To prevent bad luck?

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...