September 14, 2019

Foochow Soup : Tomato and Egg Soup

Image may contain: food

Thirty or forty years ago, schools and homes used to cook a very interesting soup called tomato and egg soup. Just two tomatoes and one egg would be enough to make a pot of soup for about 15 students according to one school cook I know.

My mother used to cook the soup too but it was with two tomatoes and one egg for the whole family. We loved the sourish soup. It was truly an economical fare.

Many children did not like vegetables and especially tomatoes because they were  foreign in origin. My mother even teased us by saying that we loved "ang moh gio" meaning tomato is a foreign or red hair berry.

番茄 foreign berry

We had this soup in the evenings and I liked the hot soup especially when it was raining and cold.

Later, my siblings and I enjoyed Campbell's tomato soup.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...