December 19, 2019

Dr. Seh Mee Ah (Xavier)

Image may contain: 3 people

Dr. Xavier of Sibu opened his clinic at Island Road, opposite our Methodist Primary school. His clinic was quite near the corner coffee shop of Ting Ngiik Huong, a very popular coffee shop. We used to be quite scared to pass by his clinic. We had no idea why he chose Sibu to practice his profession.

We were scared of him and his clinics, for as kids we heard of his famous injections. Mothers would scare kids if they cried too much. "If you cry again, I will take you to the Seh Mee Ah lohyun and ask him to give you an injection." Pah Jeng.

To the Foochows, he was Seh Med Ah Lohyun. He was good in treating all sorts of allergies and skin problems. Of course he was famous for his injections which patients would ask to get a quick cure.

We Foochows would say this of his injections, "One injection would be enough."

During one holiday, I had a terrible allergy to Mangrove and was not able to walk in fact , with all my skin breaking out in spots. I remember my grandma spoke to him in Foochow and then I fainted. But three days later all the spots left me. Until now I won't dare to "swim" near a mangrove tree. But I never remembered the injection he gave me.


I suppose it was true. One injection was enough.

One of his daughters Peggy was in the same class as my sister. His older daughter was an English teacher and a senior to me in school. 

We used to stare at his beautiful wife whom we heard was a Persian, which was probably a myth. And the family had a really great car, which we all called "a limousine" after we learned the word in primary school. The family had a driver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not Persian but Jew, the Sheppardic Jew like David Marshall, a former Prime minister of Spore

Red Eyed Fish, Patin and Empurau

 Red Eyed Fish Baked with Ern Chao My parents enjoyed raising us in Pulau Kerto at the Hua Hong Ice Factory (also rice mill). Dad would fish...