June 4, 2020

Minqing's Bamboo Products

Sarawakiana@2: May 2015

the Minqing group of Foochow pioneers were led by Wong Nai Siong to sibu in 1901-1903 (in three batches). Both my maternal and paternal grandfathers were in the 1118 pioneers' name list.

A remarkable legacy left behind by our grandparents - bamboo ware

My paternal grandfather planted more than 5 groves of bamboo in his Sg Merah house and for years, he sold bamboo shoots to collect some spare pocket money. My Lau grandparents' house in Nang Chong, down river, also had two huge groves. In the middle of the year, we would have lots of bamboo shots to eat and to preserve.

During the mid year holidays, when visiting my grandparents, the aroma of fresh bamboo shoots boiling in the huge kuali (dui diang) was intoxicating. I just could not wait for lunch to be served!!

Bamboos are very useful to us Minqing people besides being our beloved food.

It can be used to make the Minqing doutik (show in picture), baskets, chairs, bird cages, etc. There can be 101 uses from bamboo.

I remember my Ah Kung (paternal grandfather) patiently, tying together bamboo sticks to make hard brooms to sweep the earth floor of his workshop!! He was just so good with his hands. He made bird cages and he repaired baskets using finely spliced bamboo.

He made kuali racks which really lasted without using small nails. It must have been his traditioal craftmanship which he learned when he was young in Wun Chieh.  Google translate gave me the translatio for kuali rack - 鍋架 (?)

No photo description available.


A favourite bamboo craft from our Minqing area is the bamboo tray which we use to sun dry herbs, soh mien and grains. This is a very old Minqig LOR LOH owned by my Tiong cousin and it must be at least 80 years old. He uses it every day in his shop in Miri. He told me that his grandfather brought a few out from China and they really lasted.
Image may contain: 1 person
Photo taken by me when I was in King Sha, Fujian
Bamboo receptables, baskets, etc are very lasting and they are waterproof and heat proof too, so much better than plastic products. There are still many shops in Minqing, Fujian, selling bamboo crafts like ladders, chicken baskets, brooms,etc.

I would really like to have a bamboo bed like the oe shown in the photo.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...