November 24, 2020

Making of Jiaozi

 

A bit of flour? A bit of home grown chives in the back yard? You can have a good fellowship with young and old.

the making of jiaozi with a group of friends or relatives is memorable. It is a legacy one can pass on to the younger generation.

There are many stories to share while making them besides great stories about eating them.

Recently, there is a remarkable scene of making jiaozi in Crazy Rich Asians.

The making of jiazi however is more Northern Chinese in culture.



These are my personal experiences of making jiaozi.

Jiaozi or chives dumplings are not commonly made by Foochow women in Sibu.

The first time I made jiaozi was in Chongqing where I was working with the Methodist Mission for a month.

There I learned to make the wrapper or skin from my friend's mother in law. It looked so simple but it was a great skill.

She was able to make hundreds in just a short time.

The next time I made jiaozi was in Miri when I was invited by a group of Mainland Chinese girls for a fellowship. That was the first time I had a gathering with young North Eastern Chinese girls, who put a five sen in some of the jiaozi.

I taught two nieces from my husband's side to make them one Chinese New Year. I suppose if we have a bit of flour, and some chives in the garden, we can make chives jiaozi easily.

To day in Miri Tin Tin Jiaozi is very famous. The stall owner is from Mainland China.

A plate of Tin Tin Jiaozi is RM10.00. You can have a whole plate of meat, or chives, or a mixed plate of meat and chives. It is a good breakfast.

It is good to share a plate of Tin Tin jiaozi with my Lau cousins. Lovely chats and reminisces and coffee with jiaozi give one a lovely morning fellowship.

No comments:

Red Eyed Fish, Patin and Empurau

 Red Eyed Fish Baked with Ern Chao My parents enjoyed raising us in Pulau Kerto at the Hua Hong Ice Factory (also rice mill). Dad would fish...