April 24, 2021

Sibu Tales - Baby for Sale

25th May 1975 

On the day my eldest daughter was born, my expert midwife, Aunty Lau Fong Fei told me how lucky I was to give birth to a healthy girl, and that I had a working husband with a steady monthly salary and a loving mother. The child was blessed because she created the third generation in a loving family. 

She probably said all these to comfort me because I had given birth to a baby girl. But nevertheless, I was not disappointed that I had a baby girl. Besides, since I was healthy I could have another baby. 

But 1975 was still during the days when relatives were quietly disappointed when baby girls were born. the Chinese community in general still valued baby boys more than baby girls It was paramount for mothers to have baby boys to carry on the family surname,etc.

the Chinese call this, "giving more weight to boys than girls."

My aunt was different.

As a midwife she had seen lots, and heard lots so to speak. She was very comforting and kind. 

Initially I was a little disappointed that I had a baby girl. But then when I saw here brilliant eyes I was absolutely captivated. She would be fine!! As good as any boy if not better. That was my thought. As I too, had tried to be better than a male child all my life.







Aunt Fong Fei came by after I was rested from the delivery and shared with me the case of the woman who came in the same time with me to have her baby delivered. She pointed out to her as she left the counter after paying her bills. Her husband had already taken the baby, not because he was a caring husband.

It was her 14th baby. Mine was the first and my baby came only 10 hours after hers.

The mother was a pitiful case.

Her husband was a gambler and ne'er to do well kind of wastrel. Each year he would make her give birth to a baby and he would sell the child. A boy would give him around RM20,000, and a girl RM7,000 or below.

This was the first case of human trafficking in a family I heard of and I was so traumatised.

Aunt Fong Fei said that every one in the maternity home knew about the mother's story. She was a washerwoman who went from house to house to wash clothes. And for 9 months she would carry a baby to full term, deliver her baby in  the maternity clinic for RM400 and her husband would give her 600 extra for her chickens for the confinement. Usually she would rest only 2 weeks before she started work again.

I asked Aunty Fong Fei what could be done to stop the selling of the babies? She said that nothing could be done because all parties were willing partners.

In those days selling a baby was not considered criminal if the buyer was only too happy to buy a baby boy to carry on with the family surname. Or if the family had been childless for years, the Ah Pek was considered a Saviour!! So if the family was willing to pay RM 7000 for a baby girl, the Ah Pek was only too happy to let go of his own child.

My aunt said that the transaction would have been done before the baby was born. If a sale did not go through the Ah Pek will have to go to the market and look for a new customer. The birth mother had no say. Because the birth mother was the victim of the situation, my aunt could not do anything to help. She would not want a fist to land on her face or back.

How many babies do you know have been sold and bought? 

I have often wondered about the 14 babies this particular husband had sold in Sibu. And what happened to the mother, the woman who brought 14 babies to the world? Did the man suffer any punishment? Did karma finally catch up with him? Is the mother having a good life now?

No comments:

Red Eyed Fish, Patin and Empurau

 Red Eyed Fish Baked with Ern Chao My parents enjoyed raising us in Pulau Kerto at the Hua Hong Ice Factory (also rice mill). Dad would fish...