June 30, 2022

Family : My Three Cousins


My mother had a favourite cousin, Lau Yiing Chiong, who was the first Headmaster of the primary school my grandfather Lau Kah Chui set up - the Tiing Nang Primary School of Nang Chong.

My Great Grandfather had five sons, and two came as pioneers to Sibu with Wong nai Siong in 1901-3. My grand uncle Lau Kah Tii brought the older brother's son, Lau Yiing Chiong with him. He treated him like a son.

Thus my uncle Lau Yiing Chiong was very close to the big extended family, who at the initial years all lived together in Ensurai.

Uncle Lau was a very upright Methodist and he and his wife had three sons, Lau Kiing Kiew, Lau Kiing Nang and lau Kiing Meu who were all well brought up having the Foochow community's welfare in their hearts.

During Foochow funerals in Sibu, the two older boys, Kiew and Nang would always be the chief volunteers, helping the bereaved family.

Their service was a social record I reckon. By the 21st century, the two brothers were well known, especially in Lau Clan Association activities.

My mother, as a widow would always seek out the two nephews when she needed to make a decision.

So when cousin Kiew passed away due to cancer my mother was inconsolable.

My mother lost a confidant in her life.  His younger brother Nang has always been a good brother to his siblings like him.

Cousin Kiing Meu propered in his both his earthly business and God's business in Miri. He has been a well known Methodist lay leader in Miri until now.

This photo was given to us for remembrance.

And I would say, Uncle Lau Yiing Chiong had a really blessed family. His third generation has several pastors, Rev Winnie Lau and Rev Sii !! And some very prosperous businessmen.

Many of the fourth generation of this family have also migrated overseas.

May God bless them.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...