July 9, 2022

Sibu Tales : How to predict the gender of the next child


that's me about 2 years old. Can you see the lines or creases on my fat right thigh?

Old Foochow wives said that my mother's next baby would be a girl. Two lines predicted a baby girl. One line, a baby boy. And in fact every relative would enjoy checking the creases on a baby's thighs to predict the gender of the next baby. This was one of the social activities of those long ago days.

How true can that be? But it was fun predicting the gender of the next baby. Strange but true my sister was born after me. On her two thighs were only one crease each. My baby brother was the next child.

This photo was taken in Pulau Kerto, where my grandfather and father operated an ice -cum- rice mill, called Hua Hong Ice and Rice Factory.

My father Chang Ta Kang was a keen photographer and was a journalist before he was recalled by my grandfather to work in the Hua Hong Ice Mill in Pulau Kerto Sibu after the Japanese literally and metaphorically bombed  his Sarawak Times office in Kuching in 1941.

My father then obedient helped my grandfather in all his enterprises. My grandfather passed away in 1963 and my father two years later. Father and son were inseparable actually in life.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...