July 21, 2022

1962 Big Flood of Sarawak


In I962 I joined the Girl Guides. This is a photo for remembrance.

That year December Sarawak experienced the biggest flood any one had seen. As a new recruit I joined in the packing of clothes in boxes and these lovely ladies were there to guide us. We were all at the hall of the Sibu Recreation Club and we worked very hard. I still remember how much I enjoyed voluntary work then as a very young Form One girl.

I was comfortable because my aunt Ik Sing (second left in the photo) was with us. Emily Chew, extreme right was a happy guider and I really appreciated her laughter and kindness. Mrs. Temple, heavily pregnant was our Captain. Mrs. Griffin, the Resident's wife was head of the Disaster Committee of Sibu. 

The Girl Guides Movement moulded my outlook in life and Mrs. Temple was a great mentor. I learned how to make my first western butter cake from her at Hoover House, using her New World oven. I was over the top!! We Girl Guides were so nervous following the steps of the recipe. But it was a beautiful cake. Many of us still remember that day. Thank you Mrs. Temple.

May be that was the first time I heard of the town of Limbang and how the valley was really flooded with many flood victims. The bulk of our clothe boxes was sent to Limbang by army plane. 

Today I wonder if some of the clothes did reach Ulu Medamit where my husband comes from. He was then late for school, an army helicopter gave him a lift from Medamit during the flood to Miri. He was courageous enough to ask and he was given help. What a way to start a new school year in Tanjong Lobang.

No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...