December 24, 2023

Lessons from Aunts


 Christmas time is time for reflection and nostalgia. Mum has been gone since 2020. And this is the 3rd Christmas we dont have her.

Each Christmas as kids we would think of all our aunts and uncles, grandparents and parents who have left us. Time passes all too fast.

This year we remember Aunt Carrie who left us 4 years ago..The photo shows her in blue. The other are still around. I am grateful.

My father was very fond of his sisters who were extremely beautiful. My aunts' beauty was well known in the whole of the Rajang Valley. They were tall as teenagers and well eduated in the Yuk Ing Girls' School Three of them went to St Theresa in Kuching to study in the 1950's, at the time when I was still in lower Primary school. My father asked all of us to emulate them.

Lessons from 7th Aunt. By the time I was to understand social dynamics in Sibu, I had two lessons from Aunt Chiew. She taughtme hwo to live in harmony with in laws, She was such a upright Christian, caring and full of conerns for others.

She also taught me about being polite to all, especially customers. She was one of the owners of Chop Ching Chiong Textile in High Street Sibu and I used to observe her selling materials and other necessities to young and old, men and women. She was ever so polite and thoughtful.

From Aunt Pick I learned to value the art of cooking for big families and keeping the kitchen clean. She was a good seamstress when she still had good eyes. These days she does not do any more sewing. I used to watch her us paper patterns to make new year clothes for us. She actually learned tailoring from Mrs. Hoover and Aunt Chiew. Aunt Pick taught me to do smocking too but I never captialized on the skill I had in those days and made money.

Aunt Greta taught me Maths in school and I was terrified of making mistakes. May be it was because of her sterness I was very good in Maths. My Indian teacher later could not be believe that a girl could score 100% in three consecutive tests in class. Aunt Greta was a Maths teacher until she retired.

Aunt Carrie was the glamourous aunt of our family and she lived in Hong Kong. She used to work for BOAC. She taught my sister and I to be creative in making of jewellery. But she too was a good dressmaker. She made dresses for us for Chinese New Year when she was staying with us and she was only in Form 4 and Form 5!! We all missed her after staying with us for 5 years to live in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...