July 12, 2009

First Love : Blue Grass

Image result for blue grass perfume

The first perfume I ever bought for myself in 1970 was Blue Grass, in Kuala Lumpur after I successful enrolled myself at the University of Malaya.

My new friends and I went to the city to buy some personal care items and I just fell in love with Blue Grass.

Perhaps I missed home,
Perhaps I missed my own friends,
Perhaps I just missed the smells of my blanket,
newly washed clothes,d rying in the sun,
the smells of the bamboo hedge outside our wooden house,
or even the smell of the wheat noodles drying on the racks next door.

Perhaps I missed the sounds of the traffic passing by,
Or the sounds of the tin pail my mother dragged across the concrete floor.
Perhaps I missed my young brother and sisters,
teasing each other,
or even the cat and the doves cooing on the roof.

I even missed the wood pile.
Did some one help us chop more wood for my mother's stove?
It was my chore to chop the wood.

I missed the smells, the sounds, the sights of home.
Blue Grass comforted me.
It soothed my frowning brows.
It calmed my nerves.
It fills that huge emptiness inside me.
So far away from everything I love.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...